Date: 2nd October 2007 at 11:35pm
Written by:

The Addicks extended their unbeaten run to seven league matches, and moved back up to second in the Championship after a 2-1 win over Hull.

All the talk of a mystery bug sweeping through the Tigers squad proved false as a largely uneventful game was won by the Addicks thanks to goals in either half, in a match that saw both sides reduced to ten men.

Before the Addicks went ahead Dean Windass saw a goal disallowed for what was deemed a foul on Nicky Weaver.

Danny Mills had almost wrapped up the points when he struck the bar with the Addicks one up at the time, but despite 10 minutes injury time, with the Tigers goal coming in this period we did enough to come away from our first ever visit to the KC Stadium with all three points.

Jerome Thomas, a man much spoken about on this site, was back in the squad for the first time in several weeks came on in injury time.

Following a similar incident involving Tigers goalkeeper Boaz Myhill to that which had seen Dean Windass’ goal ruled out for the home side the Addicks were ahead through Luke Varney, 40 minutes, with him on hand to put home the rebound for his second Addicks goal.

The most unlikely of players was then sent off for the Addicks, as a few minutes after goal Lloyd Sam reacted to a challenge from Tigers skipper Ian Ashbee. After an altercation between the pair and several other players, after a melee simmered down both were given their marching orders.

Danny Mills had already struck the bar when with time ticking away Chris Iwelumo, 88 minutes, struck to secure the win for the Addicks, or so we thought.

As ten minutes of injury time were played Stephen McPhee, 90 minutes, ensured a nervy time as he drove home to reduce the deficit but it was too little too late.

Charlton: Weaver; Mills, Powell, Fortune, Bougherra; Sam, Semedo (McLeod 90), Zheng (Sodje 90), Reid; Iwelumo, Varney (Thomas 90).
Subs (not used): Randolph, Todorov.
Goals: Varney 40, Iwelumo 88.
Bookings: Bougherra
Red cards: Sam

Hull City:Boaz Myhill; Sam Ricketts, Michael Turner, Wayne Brown, Andy Dawson; Richard Garcia (Stephen McPhee 56), Dean Marney (David Livermore 72), Ian Ashbee (c), Bryan Hughes; Henrik Pedersen, Dean Windass (Stuart Elliot 67).
Subs (not used): Matt Duke, Damien Delaney.
Goals: McPhee 90.
Bookings: Marney, Windass
Red cards: Ashbee

Referee: Mr A Taylor

What is the thought among the Addicks followers on this site on this match? Where you happy with the result, was it a fair reflection of the game? Share these feelings below so we can discuss them.

It’s easy to register, simply click the link and start getting involved by having your say on this great club.


10 Replies to “Two Off in Addicks Win”

  • This is a fine win, a point would have been a very good result but all three is brilliant. Obviously the red card to Lloyd Sam is a disappointment, but the three points are the main thing.

  • What a dreadful report. Your team are pathetic and deserve to be nowhere near the top of the table. You feined numerous injuries and Pardew is a disgrace! Can’t wait for when we beat you in the re-match.

  • Well considering I wasn’t at the match I can’t really say much else, I can’t really write about or comment on what I don’t see, this is WHY I want someone thay DOES go to matches regularly to do this for me, but finding someone is the problem!!!

  • Touch of sour grapes is it mdjw_41, just sod off back to Hull if you have nothing constructive to say. As for looking forward to the ‘re-match’ don’t wish your time away, I’d be more concerned about what happeneds inbtween if I were you, as for beating us at the Valley dream on!

  • Exactly what I was thinking as well, and have mentioned this in my latest article, maybe some light will be shed?

Comments are closed.