Date: 1st October 2017 at 10:11am
Written by:

The Cod Army was done over like a kipper by the one man destroyer, Tariq Fosu. The difference between this performance and the one against Walsall midweek, was the movement of the ball. We knew the big players of Fleetwood Town were slower at the back and their defensive frailties` could be exposed if we got behind their defensive back line.

The Addicks responded to Karl Robinsons demands to move the ball quicker to outpace their opponents by working the ball on the flanks and using the width of the pitch to their advantage. It resulted in a collective effort that was almost perfect. The only condemnation there is, and one that has resurfaced in this game as in past ones, we tend to start very slowly and have this problem settling down into the tempo that suits our style play and we really have to address this.

We have to take our hat off to Fuso for scoring his first hat-trick for the Addicks. He has now scored four in two games. After receiving a lot of stick at the Valley against Bury when he seemed to come across far too lax in which he received the Roth and Fury from the supporters, he certainly made amends.

The Addicks opened the scoring ironically on the same time as midweek against Walsall on 13 minutes when Fuso scored his first of three. The host caught in possession, Billy Clarke, who again had a solid game fed Ricky Holmes, and the winger delivering a cross of equal quality with a pin-point accuracy that our man of the match Fuso rose highest to nod the ball past Fleetwood`s keeper Alex Cairns.
The travelling away support`s joy was obvious. The 350 or so who made the long journey to Lancashire which added up to a 500 mile round trip were in seventh heaven. But as in past games, the Addicks were guilty of letting a lead slip from their grasps. After showing much greater energy and intensity, they let the home side in to equalise on 25 minutes. Jake Forster-Caskey was dispossessed inside his own half, Jordy Hiwula feeding Bobby Grant as the Addicks backline were caught napping and his finish silenced the away support.

The game evenly poised from that point of them levelling, Robinson`s men upped the ante and again took the lead with 5 minutes left to play in the first half. Fuso again was the scorer. Making a nuisance of himself, he out-paced Fleetwood`s front men, broke through their defence before providing a left-footed finish with all the composure of an experienced striker.

If our efforts deserved better against Walsall, the Addicks certainly made up for the disappointment from mid-week. Robinson`s men frustrated Uwe Rosler`s men who became increasingly agitated and it showed in their play. To rub salt into the already open wounds, the Cod Army had no answer to the Addicks swift movement that tormented them throughout this game. On 71 minutes Fuso completed the misery by adding his third to the game and subs contently ended the game as a contest.

The supporters who ventured on this long journey to Lancashire where not disappointed. The Addicks showed that they have the energy and the passion to perform against the odds. For the first time in five games, victory could be enjoyed. Not only victory, but an injection of pace, power and tempo which added to this win from the brilliance of one player Tariq Fuso.

An added bonus was to see the introduction of Marshall and Ben Reeves back into the mix. Their added experience will have a real impact on future games. Well done the Addicks, a real crowd pleasing performance!