Date: 21st November 2010 at 8:10am
Written by:

A hard fought win at The Valley kept Charlton’s recent good run going.

It was not the most convincing of displays by the Addicks and highlighted the need for cover in certain areas. Joe Anyinsah was a big miss, as was Wagstaff. With the duo missing Kyel Reid played on the right and looked nothing like the player he does on the left. Martin, the obvious deputy for Wagstaff, resumed his partnership with Benson up front but it did not have the impact it did at Peterborough.

Yeovil started the brighter of the two teams and it was against the run of play that Charlton took the lead. Martin chased a ball down the right and was at full stretch to send a lofted cross into the box. Jackson was on hand to apply a deft finish with his right foot after 11 minutes.

Two of the three Williams’ in the Glovers line-up combined for the equaliser just six minutes later. Sam fed Andrew for the left-winger to cut in and fire home via Elliot’s near post.

This open, see-saw match swung back in the host’s favour after 26 minutes. Jackson laid the ball back to Fry who slipped a through ball to Racon. The in form midfielder controlled it in an instant, swivelled and despatched a fierce left fot shot into the far corner. Terry Skiverton would probably have felt hard done by at half-time.

Parity was restored ten minutes after the restart following a free-kick conceded by Dailly on the right. Gavin Williams drove the ball hard and low into a packed penalty area. The ball ping-ponged around before eventually being turned into his own goal by Gary Doherty.

Akpo Sodje was sent on to add a more physical presence up front but the game took a dramatic twist shortly after. Dailly and Sam Williams challenged for a ball on the right and the Yeovil man went dowm clutching his face. The assistant indicated that Dailly had led with his arm and had caught Williams. Referee Whitestone brandished a red card at the dismayed Scotsman. Fortune came on for Reid as Parkinson boldly opted to go with three in midfield and keep two strikers on. The manager’s courage was rewarded five minutes from time when Sodje burst into the box and took a tumble when challenged by Paul Huntington. The other assistant immediately put his flag across his chest to indicate a penalty. The award meant a mandatory red card for Huntington to restore parity of numbers for the final stages of the game.

After what seemed an eternity, Jackson coolly thundered in his seventh goal of the season, with just five minutes left on the clock. Charlton saw the game out without any real scares.

With Brighton dropping two home points to Bristol Rovers and travelling to Southampton on Tuesday, the Addicks will be hoping to make further inroads into the Seagulls lead at the top of the table when Rovers visit The Valley on the same evening.


2 Replies to “Charlton Run Continues”

  • Ooh Johnnie Jackson, Johnnie, Johnnie, Johnnie, Johnnie Jackson’s on fire! Such a cool and calm head when many others could’ve lost theirs.

  • good work from Johnnie,,,,penalties should be easy, but when the nerves set in the goalie looks large and the goal looks small

Comments are closed.